Below you will find a step-by-step guide on how to put on 5 of the most common dog harnesses for your little pooch, from the vest harness, to the step-in harness, the padded chest harness, the dual strap harness, and finally the halti training harness.
Before you get started you will need a tape measure or if you do not have a tape measure, you can improvise by using a piece of string and then measuring the string against a ruler.
Areas of Focus
The two main areas of your dog that you will be measuring are around the neck (where the collar usually sits) and around the thickest portion of your dog’s chest.
First thing you want to do is to always try and find the top of the harness. Almost all harnesses (with the exception of the Halti) typically have the buckle where the leash attaches at the top of the dogs back.
The general rule is to locate the lead buckle clip and then you’ll be able to distinguish easily between the top and the bottom of the harness.
1. Vest HarnessClick Here to Shop for a Vest Harness
- Locate the lead buckle on the harness to orient yourself from the top and the bottom.
- Slip the vest over your dogs head, keeping the lead buckle to the top portion of your dog.
- The vest portion sits on the chest.
- Slip one leg through on one side.
- Wrap the other “arm” portion of the vest around your dogs other leg and clip it in place.
- Keep in mind – the neck is not adjustable on this harness, so make sure you’ve done your measurements before buying this one.
2. Step-In HarnessClick Here to Shop Reflective Step-In Dog Harness
- This one may look a bit complicated, but its as easy as the vest harness. Your first job is to locate where the lead attaches because you know that part should be on top when you are putting on the harness on your dog.
- There is only one clip on this harness. You will need to open this clip first.
- Once the clip is open, put the harness flat on the ground.
- You are going to put one of your dogs legs into each of the two open spaces on the harness. See picture below.
- Once both of your dog’s legs are in the harness, simply pull the harness up around your dog and clip it in place.
- The lead buckle will be on the top part of your dog, just behind their neck, ready for the leash.
3. Padded Chest Harness
- The design is similar to the Step-In Harness. The only difference is the padded chest plate.
- Key tip – the wider part of the chest plate will always go towards the back of your dog.
- There is only one clip on this harness, just like the previous harness. You will need to open this clip first.
- Once the clip is open, put the harness flat on the ground. Make sure you position it so the thicker part of the chest plate is towards the back of your dog.
- You are going to put one of your dogs legs into each of the two open spaces on the harness. Just like you did with the Step-In harness.
- Once both of your dog’s legs are in the harness, simply pull the harness up around your dog and clip it in place. See picture below.
4. Dual Strap Harness
- This harness can be a little more tricky, but if you follow the very first tip you were given and locate the lead buckle, you’ll be fine.
- There is only one clip on this vest. Open the clip.
- Slip your dog’s head through the hole as shown below.
- Similar to the Step-In and Padded Chest Harness, you are now going to slip one leg under the open loop as shown in the picture below.
- Bring the harness up and around the other leg of your dog and clip it in place.
- Now that your dog is harnessed in, you should have the lead buckle at the top and towards the back of your dog as seen in the picture below.
5. Halti Front Pull Harness
- Make sure you attach a collar first on your dog.
- Once the collar is attached, put the loop of the halti over your dog’s neck. Your dog will now have two attachments around their neck as shown in the picture below.
- The little silver clip on the Halti should be at the front of your dog’s chest.
- Bring the two red straps under your dogs legs and clip the buckle to fit the harness around your dog’s chest.
- Now you can attach the silver hook to your dog’s collar.
- This Halti harness is best used with a double lead.
- Attach one end of the lead to the silver hook on the front of the Halti harness. The other lead attaches at the top of your dog on the lead hook as shown below.
This article on how to put on a dog harness came from YouTube (Pet Circle).
Hopefully you’ve found this article on how to put on a dog harness helpful. If so, please share with your friends and family on social media…it helps me to keep the lights on here at DoggyCheatSheet.com 🙂